Fwd: Whoops! Retry... A Statement of Faith - By Linford Detweiler

In a message dated 3/27/2001 8:00:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cbrown at dakotahdirect_com writes:

Now here is an intimidating thought.  A statement of faith.  I seldom think
of my faith in terms of statements.  I speak a faltering language that at
best consists primarily of questions, asides, and whispered midnight
prayers.  The two midnight prayers that I pray over and over, and which
summarize all my prayers are:
1)  This gift of life is too big.  I give my life back to you, the giver.
Take my life and make of it something beautiful, and 2) Thank you.

But this is music.  These records that you see here on this table do tell
the story of much of my journey over the course of the last ten years, if
not longer.  This music was my way of asking what I would like to make of
this gift of too-large life that I was given.  And what this give of
too-large live would make of me.  This music was my way of trying to find
new ways of expressing gratitude for the sometimes frightening freedom to
discover what I believed to be true.  And when I lost my way at times, (to
put it mildly), this music was instrumental in helping me find my way back
home.  These records, in little ways and big ways, saved my life.

I wrote down the following words once after reading them, but I'm not sure
anymore who said them: "Those who believe in God, but without passion in
the heart, without anguish of mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, and
even at times without despair, believe on in the idea of God, and not in
God himself."  I guess what I want to say is this: if you prefer your music
to function more or less as a pep rally for Jesus, you're definitely at the
wrong table.  There probably is a place for that kind of music, but I for
one was never called to be a cheerleader.

If however, your spirit is hungry for something a little different, if you
have ever had a heart broken, if you have passed through valleys of shadows
in your life where all was mostly lost, if you have discovered that most of
the good things in life are given not taken, if you have unexpectedly been
swept upstream with joy beneath Abraham's stars, if you have come to grips
with the fact that it will take at least a lifetime to learn to forgive
those who have wronged you and to forgive yourself for wronging others, if
you puzzle from time to time at the cruel radiant beauty that surrounds us
pulsing everywhere, beauty that seems to want to tell us in a language
beyond words, beauty that makes no sense when you consider how innocent
children suffer every day and how some people have their lives all but
irreparably shattered right in front of their eyes - loved ones snatched
prematurely and painfully away, dreams stillborn, relationships uprooted
from the soil of hopeful hearts - then you may well recognize your own self
in this music.

You may find some fresh language for the soul, music for embracing the
sweet sadness of life, music born of welcome tears and deep rejoicing.  And
music that speaks of a desire to know the Man of Sorrows, the Friend of
Sinners, the Rose of Sharon.  You see, we just want it to be real.  We want
to risk being honest enough to tell our uncensored secrets.  To say that as
often as not a journey of faith is a special state in which we struggle to
ask the right questions, and just a question of stating special right
answers.

So, I hope you ultimately don't mind if I didn't bother to bring the catchy
slogans and the pom poms.  I brought my life and a simple two-part midnight
prayer:  1) This gift of life is too big.  I give my life back to you, the
giver.  Take my life and make of it something beautiful, and 2)  Thank you.

I hope Over The Rhine's music reflects this prayer.  Enjoy the festival.
         -Linford Detweiler for Over The Rhine

-- BEGIN included message

-- END included message