Re: More FfR thoughts

Hi,

> i love the red, too, and it was all the more surprising after such a long
> train of faded-photo themes.  however, i was a little disappointed when
> looking at the cover to find that *probably* both arms were originally
> visible, but a little photoshopping turned one red.  i guess it's the
> graphics training in me, but am i wrong?  it's still gorgeous

I don't know.  It doesn't bother me.  One thing I hope will come of the digital
age is that people will (a) be more aware of how much photography changes its
subject, rather than simply recording what 'is', and (b) explore photography
more as a fantastic *and* representational art like painting.  If the cover of
FfR were a painting, there wouldn't be an issue; the painter could extend to
the pocket.  That's how I see this photo.  YMMV.

> >Is is possible to avoid the idolation of pop stardom while still doing
> >things that court that kind of mindset like offering signatures to a
> >select few?  Just food for thought...  on to the music...
>
> true, it does seem inconsistent.

I don't think I was thinking about consistency, although that could be an
issue.  I was thinking more along hte lines of: there are certain behaviors
that encourage others (who are already prone to do so) to set you apart and
above, on a pedestal.  Pop stars are celebreties; they are not thought of as
"just like us".  If you want to avoid having people idolize you (we're not
worthy!), my thought was it could be counter-productive to do things that
encourage people to think of you as special (using your signature as a reward,
for example).  Maybe not.  Maybe whether or not people idolize you lies on
them, not you, whether you isolate yourself like Salinger or market yourself
like Madonna.

> is it sort of obvious that k&l didn't write it?

Hm.  I'm not sure I can answer that.  Since I knew in advance they didn't, I'm
not sure I could put that knowledge aside and ask "if I didn't know they didn't
write it, could I figure out they didn't write it?"

I have to get some sleep.  It's been a fun month of travel, but I am looking
forward to getting home.  Although there's going to be a ton of paperwork
waiting for me.  Yuck.  :-P A whole month's worth of minutia, piled up and
ready to pounce.  Although, I think a pile of bills and forms wouldn't pounce.
It would be more like quicksand.  Or it would nibble you to death like ducks.

Good night,
--
Don Smith                    Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu        http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

"Go to red alert!"  "Are you *absolutely* sure, sir?
It does mean changing the bulb."			    - Red Dwarf