Re: Films for Radio

In a message dated 2/16/01 4:00:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Owner-Over-The-Rhine at actwin_com writes:

<< judging from a few of the songs I've
 gotten bootlegged from live shows, I can't imagine some of the
 material not being VERY STRIPPED down and acoustic.  With all of that
 said, I'd have to say that this will probably be Over the Rhine's
 most musically diverse record to date >>

I have been fortunate enough to hear an advance copy of Films for Radio. I'll
give you a little info on it based on what I've heard. This is a spoiler (of
sorts) so if you want to be suprised, read no further. First of all, Over the
Rhine continues their trend of changing with each new album. When Linford
said that they won't be accused of making the same album twice, HE WASN'T
KIDDING. Don't expect GDBD version 2. There are not many moments on the CD
when everything is stripped down and acoustic. The most sparse track seems to
be When I Go. Overall, the album has a much more polished feel to it than
any other OTR album has. That is NOT a bad thing.

Films for Radio has extremely well written songs. I'm sure most of you have
already heard most of the new material live, but when I heard "World Can
Wait" and Karin sings "Fade to black and white now, roll the movie of my life
inside of my head" & "like all true believers, I'm truly skeptical of all
that I have said" (I think that's right) it moves you. As somebody else has
said, this album features mouch more percussion than one has come to expect
from OTR. There are several songs with drum loops/drum machines ect.
Sonically, the album is more wide open, spacious (sort of like Patience was).
It is also less guitar driven than their past efforts.

In I Radio Heaven, I even felt like I could hear whispers of Radiohead. But
maybe that's just me. Some of the songs are catchy, but the lyrical genius
that has been found on all of OTR's other albums is present here. I do
believe that this album is much more geared for radio than any other album
they've produced, but I think it represents some great songwriting. This
album will win the band some new fans, and will get them more media exposure.
But OTR hasn't sold out. This is a beautiful album, sometimes lush, sometimes
experimental, but distinctly Over the Rhine. All true fans of the band will
love it, you just have to give it time.

Brittney

It is not Good Dog Bad Dog,
It is not Good Dog Bad Dog,