responding to a few things

Tina,
Just wanted to let you know that I read your arguments and found them right
on the money.
Jesus Christ (amazing teacher, maybe son of god)>>>Jesus Jones, OK
Humphrey Bogart (actor)>>>Bogarts (rock club), OK
James Brown (soul singer)>>>Cleveland Browns (football team), OK
Don Smith (person with common names)>>>Don Smith (person with common names),
OK
Thelonius Monk/Monk (musician)>>>Monks of Doom (band), OK
Thelonius Monk/Monk (musician)>>>Monk (musician), NOT OK
But I don't think you're going to convince Monk fans who aren't fans of
Thelonius Monk. They aren't going to care. Hundreds of thousands of people
around the world might care, but fans of ric have made their point that they
don't. Which is probably fine.
Someone who responded to you described this list as fans of monk/over the
rhine and said you're waisting your time making your comments. i would
describe this list as fans of over the rhine that put up with a lot of monk
bullshit, but that's just the way I see it and it's probably because i'm not
a fan of ric's music.
As I pointed out to Don, one man's wanking off, is another man's brilliant
guitar playing.
Suffice it to say if Ric's idea of a good time is to be center stage playing
all that stuff all the time, I can see why he looked so miserable playing
with over the rhine those last few years if not longer.
Your point about feeling guilty about using up over the rhine space to
discuss it is well-taken though. Doesn't ric have his own discussion group.
Does ric reaally want to be viewed for the rest of his life as the former
guitar player of over ther rhine. Maybe he does, but i'm sure he would
appreciate people discussing his music on the Monk discussion list. I just
checked out the archive. There was a whopping one post in May of 2000. Maybe
the monk fans should take their appreciation of ric's music (which i'm sure
has touched people legitimately) to the discussion group that he set up for
his fans.
The rest of us can fight over which signed copy of Films For Radio we
managed to get.

Food for thought,

Tom

np Rufus Wainwright