I'da Rushmore but I'da Disintegrated.

I've heard IDA.  I like 'em okay.  They have this one polyrhythmic song
that's great.  But then they turn into the Indigo Girls sometimes, and
I'm not as interested.

I liked Rushmore a lot.  There was something great about the
overachievement linked with a failure to understand what sort of
achievement matters linked with egotism linked with a desire to matter.
I.e., good characters.  Funny, yes, but I grooved on the
characterizations.  It may be useful here to remind anyone (everyone) who
may not (how would they?) know that I don't look for representational
realism in my fiction.  Representational realism is a bourgeois trick to
get us to conform.

A weird story: I found a copy of Disintegration by the Cure at Mick's
Flea Market in Gas City, Indiana.  Great album.  That's not the weird
story.  The weird story is that on the insert, at right angles to the
lyrics, in the margins between, there was written this note in high
school boy's handwriting, names omitted, spelling and punctuuation errors
included:

"T___, I can't begine to tell you how much you mean to me, my life with
you has been better.  than anything I could ever dream of having.  I have
enjoyed these last two months more.  than any time ever, and I can only
wait to see what the future holds for us.  And as the song says . . . .
how ever far away, however long I stay, whatever words I say, I will
always love you.  I love you T____.  I love you now as I will forever
love you.  Yours forever N___.              Jan 30, 1990."

"N___"  Was underlied with a little swoosh and two slanted crosshatches
through the swoosh.

Funny how objects have histories that we rarely know.  And funny to
wonder just how this CD got from gift status to flea market 4-buck
status.  And funny how much you learn about somebody from something like
this.

I also saw a flipcase/CD wallet for sale, full of CDs, no cases or album
art, and I just know that it was filched out of some Taylor student's
car.  There was a Skillet CD.  C'mon.  I always wondered where my old
roommates' CDs went when they were stolen in his four big flip page
thingies.  Now I know.  Mick's Flea Market.

Over the Rhine is good.

Hard to know what it is if you've never had one,

Fred