Re: Words, movies, and music

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Sherry Pofahl wrote:

> Sex is not sacred.  By any stretch of the imagination.  It is a gift
> that--like any other gift--must be enjoyed responsibly.

aren't gifts from God able to be used as a means of worship?

> To say that sex is sacred is to say that the body is sacred.  It is
> not. I'm not an acetic here, but the moment we stop realizing how
> ironic our existence is--spiritual beings married to our material
> bodies--the moment we lose sight of the core of life.  I guess I'm not
> making any sense here, am I?

it's a temple, which means it should be treated well.

> Would you ever perform sex as a sacred rite, to get closer to God?
> Some Pagans did, and still do.  But is that a Christian thing to do?
> Does the "whatever you do, do unto the Lord," thing apply here?

yes, it does. more than ever - because it is such a personal thing.
because sex is such a personal thing that has been reserved for marriage,
why should it not be a form of worship? if we are to joy in the things
that God has given us, that means sex, too. you can't just drop it outside
the loop because it is tabu; it doesn't work like that.

> I guess that's what's sticking in my brain when I hear "sex" and
> "sacred" in the same sentence.

> I've often heard of the giving of one's virginity as offering up the
> "holy of holies."  I find this disturbing, as--in my mind--it equates
> sex with worship.
>
> Sex is not about worship; it's about intimacy.  Those two things have
> some elements in common, but the biggest difference is probably that
> one is ephemeral and the other, eternal.  That's a mighty big
> difference.

i think worship can be gritty and solid, that it's not all about prayer
and holy mutterings to the ceiling in the dark, and that some forms of
worship are not eternal in expression, but in meaning. a man will not stop
loving his wife when they go to heaven.

> Do we worship our spouses, and our own ability to procreate--or do we
> worship God, and His ability to Create?

the expression of love is found in many ways, and i think that when love
is expressed properly, it glorifies God. even with sex. it's an expression
of love (or should be).

feeling out the edges,

rhys

--
Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't
know the answer to. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Douglas Adams