Re: The Last Temptation of Kelvin

> > The Ayatollah, Cat Stevens, and others were waging a campaign of hate
> > against him for his book - while at the same time Hollywood was
> > promoting and defending a film that made shambles of Christianity.
>
> I don't see quite what you're getting at here with this comparison (and
> I think "made shambles of" is rather an exaggeration).

I thought that was an over-reaction too, at first, until I remembered the
scene with Saint Paul.  FWIW.

> Both works portrayed a holy figure as more human than he is normally
> portrayed . . .

I wonder if anybody here would care to discuss the CBS mini-series
_Jesus_, which aired earlier this year.  It also portrayed Jesus in a much
more human light than he is normally portrayed, *but* it was endorsed by
the evangelical subculture more than it was rejected by it.

> It's not trying to imply that Jesus was "just a moral teacher", or that
> Christianity is based on a misunderstanding, or even (like Life of
> Brian) that Christianity has gone astray from the original point.

Well, I would point you to that Saint Paul scene again.  The movie -- like
Christianity itself, for that matter -- isn't *only* about Jesus, even
though both the faith and the film are obviously *centred* on him.

--- Peter T. Chattaway ------------------------ petert at interchg_ubc.ca ---