Re: vaguely full of icicles

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Kelvin Bailey wrote:

> --- rhys daily <shadow at teuton_org> wrote:
> >
> > any shops in Cinci that have pretty foreign pieces
> > of fabric, or one of
> > those lovely alpaca blankets, etc? cos i get the
> > feeling it'd be a perfect
> > time to look this weekend. (indiana is devoid of
> > such culture).
> >

> Scuse me!  Like O-HI-O is the midwestern fortress of high culture?
> Don't be so provincial... :)

> Kelvin (a restentful Hoosier)

ahem.

abject apologies for offending hoosiers.  i do have to admit, though, that
wandering around clifton was something i don't find in indiana... dave and
i found an african shop where he could recognize things from ivory coast,
and i found a shop that had latin american things that i knew well.
besides, the indian food is almost as good as something you'd find in new
york or boston, or chicago. and the peopl einside were every coljor. (:

having said that, we went exploring in indiana yesterday - went to mounds
state park and generally wandered everywhere (: it was great.

as far as culture in indiana, my parents sort of grew up in this state.
multi-lingual, non-american traditionally living. etc.

*and* for me it was the first state i felt so foreign yet at home. i met a
group of people who'd lived all over like me. who spoke at least one, if
not two more languages, and that i didn't have to speak english if i so
chose.  i was introduced to OTR, VOL, and other such bands that i never
would've have had a chance to hear otherwise. i drank chai again and had
good mexican food. and good indian food homemade like mom does it.

so, does indiana have culture? i guess... but so much of it is foreign to
me, and i know that my experience at Taylor is vastly different from the
state at large. i can say that, because i work with people who've never
left the country, and don't care about much besides programming and family
and football. not that this is bad at all, just ..foreign.  they speak
another english - one of movies and assumpptions, fashion and
understandings, tastes and desires that i barely understand.  it's very
much like watching a movie without the subtitles.  every now and then, i
catch something and feel like i've understood.  they try to explain, and
sometimes it helps -but it's still losing osmethin gin the translation.

will i move? yes. someday. to a place like seattle. or mexico. or africa.
somewhere with a think yellow happening of sunshine, and a marketplace
that smells of people and spices and animals. where langauges are casually
intertwined in conversations like spices mixed in a dish.

gotta go. gotta stay. home is a bizarre non-exsistant place.

the concert was amazing. and disappointing. i think i saw the listees
wandering around, but wasn't feeling brave enough to say hi. another time,
perhaps.

rhys

--
Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't
know the answer to. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Douglas Adams