somersault

The resident agitator said:

>how dare you accuse me of such a  thing, academic indeed.  i maybe an
>elitist imperialist but never an academic.

I am an academic.  Let me go to work on this for a minute.

"Elitist" in the sense of thinking only one set of ideas is correct.

"Imperialist" in the sense of thinking that those ideas should be forced
upon the world.

But how interesting that this is to be a "liberal" statement.
Imperialism is inherently conservative, afraid of the chaos of
polyvocality and democracy.  Even if you argue that a liberal can be
imperialist about being progressive, you end up with some logical
somersaults going on.  And so an interesting thing: I object to right
wing attempts to legislate morality; and I object to left wing attempts
to legislate their morality, too.  And they are both conservative.

Hmm.

Over the Rhine is a good band,

Fred