More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About The Electoral College

Okay kids, with all this debate going around about the electoral college,
it occured to me that I really didn't know too much about it, so I asked
someone who does know alot.  My best friends father is an investigative
journalist, and has written several politically themed books.  This is
what he had to say....

jen

ps. he included a map, but when forwarding this onto you, I was unable to
attach it to the email.  If anyone is particularly interested, e-mail me
privately and I'll send it to you that way.

> Jen,
>
> Caoilt called and left a message asking me to explain the importance
> of
> the electoral college to you.  So, that's what this is all about.
>
> Before I begin, though, there's one other idea I ought to explain
> and
> that's what an MSA is.
>
> Let me be a little long-winded here.  If you think back in history
> ancient and medieval times and think of cities the image you'll
> probably
> picture a place that is surrounded by walls with all of the citizens
> living inside the walls.  In fact, walls were so important to
> cities,
> the Latin word for city was urbs which literally means walls.
>
> Now this doesn't mean there weren't suburbs in those days.  There
> were.
> Matter of fact, if you look at the word suburb you can see that it's
> made up of two Latin words -- sub which means under and urbs.
> Suburbs,
> in other words literally meant "under the (city's) walls."  And
> that's
> what they were.  They were houses and buildings and eventually whole
> neighborhoods built right up against (or under) the city's walls.
>
> In other words, up through the middle ages cities were very compact,
> enclosed places.
>
> Starting in the 17th and 18th centuries cities began to tear down
> their
> old walls and move on out into the countryside.  But, even though
> the
> city grew larger and expanded, it still stayed quite compact.  Part
> of
> this was for protection, partly because means of transportation and
> communication were still fairly primitive and partly because land
> was
> scarce and expensive.
>
> This is the way things stayed for two hundred and fifty years or so.
> But by the mid 20th century all of that had changed.  By then,
> especially in the United States, all of that had changed.  While the
> old
> city centers still remained in most places, the actual functioning
> city
> had sprawled out from the old center to include suburbs further and
> further from the old central city.  In addition, with the
> improvements
> of transportation and communication the rural areas around the old
> central cities and its suburbs became more and more closely
> integrated
> with the economy and social life of the old city.
>
> So, if you wanted to describe the new kinds of cities made up of the
> old
> center city, its suburbs and the surrounding countryside, you had to
> come up with a new construct.
>
> Geographers and other social scientists -- and through them, the
> U.S.
> [...]

if i'm screaming in your sky and tell you all
hear me, hear me