Re: felicity

Regarding the teeny-boppers...

At Cornerstone 2000, I was actually really, really pleased when I was
sitting with Sherry (who became my fiancee on Monday!  But that's a side
note...)  in the front row, and right behind me were sitting a group of
late-teen women who were gabbing about OtR and how wonderful Karin
was.  It surprised me to a certain extent, but then I thought about it for
a sec.  OtR is mature and wonderfully romantic - it's completely
understandable that younger folks would really, really enjoy it, just as
a segment of the teenage population enjoys Sarah McLaughlin and Loreena
McKennitt.

I would _love_ to walk down a street and hear a group of younger women or
men singing in chorus to Hej or Circle of Quiet.  As much as I love having
this little-known secret of wonder and music that is OtR fandom, I'm a big
believer of wanting artists to succeed.  I would love to see the
Vigilantes of Love and Over the Rhine and Terry Taylor become household
names.  The idea of seeing my favorite artists be able to support
themselves well on the art they make appeals to me like you wouldn't
believe.

(also, the idea of a fourteen-year old with braces and Manic Panic hair
singing "Jack's Valentine" just makes me giggle.  Really, I tend to think
OtR in its current touring form is a little too innovative and avant-garde
for most kids.  But if they like it?  Bring 'em in!)

-Drew

O Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, Midrealm   )
O ^ ^          Tying shoelaces to other shoelaces since 2000               X
O(_]_) "Pastrami won't save you this time, Venter..." Diablo,www.goats.com |