Re:for arts sake...

In a message dated 9/30/00 1:25:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
fionaeval at yahoo_com writes:

<<  i read
 an excellent essay that basically said that artists
 shouldn't be creating to tell anyone anything in
 particular.  it's not about my will or agenda.  it's
 about what i'm experiencing and about sharing that
 experience honestly and openly.  certainly a
 vulnerable thing. >>

  Agree with the second sentence disagree with the first.
I see art as the way we tell our stories.  The way we see.  To
be legitimate the *message* has to match the experience, IOW it
has to be real.  Both to our bloody humanness and our touches
(or lack thereof-no matter how we try) with the divine.
There is both something very particular and universal in that.
  At the same time art seems to be about getting beyond the
limitation of words, paints, notes, into the direct experience of
life.  That paints -- as Terry Taylor says -- "the common things
with mystery" When a poet writes about nature he's trying to
communicate what he/she *feels* when there not what color
the sky was, what color the leaves were, what is smells like,etc.
They are trying to communicate something beyond that.

peace,
Kevin  (just call me the rambler)