Re: that one dude who played

Ricky C wrote:
>Maurice Mattei reminded me a lot of the extra effort
>of Bob Dylan to tell a story rather than to relax
>after enough syllables to fill a predefined number
>of beats that everyone has become accustomed to
>hearing about.

yeah, but as discussed at the show, Dylan wasn't as
boring. :)

i do agree that Mattei had some nice lyrics, but the
songs were too long, they sounded the same, and they
were all about prostitutes (or so it seemed).  he'd
work better as poet.

>People who like poetry would be more likely to like
>Maurice than would people who do not listen to poetry.

not necessarily.

i love poetry, but me liking "poetry in song" really
weighs a lot on the songwriter.  he really didn't do
much for me.  maybe he should have just done spoken
word readings. :)

as for songwriters that pack a lot of words into their
music, more in the poetic-storytelling vein of Dylan-
i'd go with Peter Mulvey, Bill Mallonee, and Ani
Difranco (or heck, even the last Alanis Morissette)
rather than Maurice.  oh well, to each hir own.

sidenote:
  Rick, the Béla Fleck shows at Miami Univ are 11/30
and 12/1.  let me know if you can find out any info
on tickets.  i'll do the same if i find out.

ease replaced my self-esteem,
Dan

np: superior - younique

+- Dan Temmesfeld - dantemm(at)netzero(dot)net -+
 _Galactic Cowboys  -  http://www.dlm.net/gc/ _
    wish i could whisper how much i need you
+- after tomorrow i might forget to  (kingsx) -+