Re: everything goes back to...

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:39:50 -0400 jwolp at juno_com writes:
> Also, the fundamental point of most art, in my opinion, is to relate
> the human experience.  To create something that elicits a certain
> emotion/reaction from people.  Something in the theoretical realm of
>
> being "completely original" would not do that because it would be so
> far
> removed from everything that everyone (even the artist) has ever
> experienced.

I tend to disagree.  I think if something is created with the reaction of
others in mind, it ceases to be art and has taken the first step to being
a marketing ploy at best and propoganda at worst.  Maybe I'm naive, but I
honestly believe real art is created out of a sense of compulsion on the
part of the artist.  It may make no sense to anyone but him - and maybe
not even to him.  But it is in someway true to his experience.  I do
believe, however, that the vast majority of experiences or emotions a
person can have are common to the vast majority of people.  So in that
sense, it would elicit an emotion or reaction.  I just think that if that
is its purpose it compromises the art.

I still believe that in some small corner of the cosmos there is
something happening that is truly original.  I just don't know what it
is.  Okay, maybe I am naive.

Kelvin