Re: encore theories

In a message dated 9/21/00 12:31:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cemery at columbus_rr.com writes:

<<
 I've only seen what I'd consider one REAL encore - They Might Be Giants at
 the Newport in '97.   They did the typical
 come-back-out-with-the-band-to-play-Ana-Ng, then the crowd wouldn't leave,
 near-riot conditions.  So they came back out with the band to play something
 else (what it was escapes me at the moment - I think maybe it was 'The
 Guitar').   And the crowd STILL was riotous, so for the 3rd (!) encore, John
 & John came out and played 'Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love' with just guitar
 and accordian.

 It was a beautiful moment.

Last week at the VNV Nation/ Apoptygma Berzerk show (and if ANYONE here knows
who they are, I'll die of shock), the openers, VNV, got the crowd going like
there was no tomorrow. Now, I wasn't sure why they were just the openers,
since I'd always thought they were about equal in popularity, but I put it
down to just my personal preferences influencing my opinion.

But Ronan, the frontman for the duo, worked the crowd with consumate skill,
and got everyone jumping and screaming and dancing, putting on more of a show
than I believe a lot of people expected from a totally synth/DAT-based
electronic band. And when they had finished, instead of everyone waiting
patiently for Apop, the crowd began to stomp, scream, and chant, "VNV! VNV!
VNV!" They came back, did an encore, and when no one would stop cheering,
Ronan laughed and said, "Hold on a sec, I have to check something." He went
to the side of the stage, had a brief chat, and sadly had to come back to
tell us they were out of time. I've never seen that happen before. I somehow
felt justified-- I'd told everyone I was going mainly to see VNV, since I
enjoy them far more.

I spent most of the next day hanging out with part of the crews for both
bands, and with Ronan. After that, I felt even more justified. Lovely guys,
and FAR more up on American current events than I'd expected, considering
they were all German or Norwegian or, in Ronan's case, Irish.

So of course I'm driving to DC Thursday to see them again. Yay!

Just in case you're wondering:

http://vnvnation.com/index.htm