Re: Moon

In a message dated 8/19/00 8:18:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kläarpren_alpha at rocketmail_com writes:

<<
 that's true.  the eruption of mt. pinatubo in the philippines in '91
 let up enough ash to alter the earth's temperature by two degrees for
 years.  and that's just ONE volcano.  and los angeles is treated to
 some wonderful sunsets for the price of choking on their tainted brand
 of air. >>

Am I the only one who remembers Mt. St. Helen's eruption and the resultant
sunsets? It was said when Vesuvius erupted in the early 1800s, all of Europe
got a nightly show.

NPR is saying there are some towns out West in which the visibility is down
to two BLOCKS. People walk out-- if they must-- with gas masks. I remember a
few years ago, when the fires were very bad, a graphic on one news channel
which showed a cloud of smoke stretching into Oklahoma. What is it this year,
a million acres? It's the worst fire season in 50 years. I wouldn't be
surprised if Mother Moon were indeed bleeding.

I was driving home from my first weekend working a Ren Faire in five years,
and I came around a turn on the turnpike and caught sight of the almost-full
moon hanging dejectedly in the sky, sullen and brilliant in burnt-orange red.
I gasped and almost cried. It's gorgeous.

The moon is the Lorax, and it's crying for the trees.

Definitely time for bed now.