Re: Moon

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Amy Tompkins wrote:

> > I suspect it was so red because of the wildfires out west.  I saw it the
> night
> > before, but I'm sure it wasn't quite as spectacular.  Still really cool,
> though.
> > Blood red in a scarf of dark clouds.
>
> um, no, I don't think so. I live in Romania so that wouldn't have had
> any affect as far as I can tell.... I mean, it was a reddish orange
> here as well.
>
> Amy

it still could be so... fires, volcanoes, atmospheric pollution through
natural disasters have a way of colouring sunsets to magnificent colours
for sometimes years afterwards.  it could even follow that it has taken
this long for the smoke and ash to rise to a certain level in the
atmosphere and travel.  i'd never thought about it possibly affecting a
moonrise, though. that and the fires are pretty large by now, and there
had been some in russia earlier this summer as well as volcanic activites
in the islands.

hm. who knows.

rhys

--
Not all who wander are lost. JRR Tolkein