new music - bored and wondering...

what is everybody listening to lately?  i don't have much OtR-related stuff
to share other than the OtR gig at Canal Street in Dayton on Friday is
gonna be cool... geez, it's been 6 months since the last time i saw OtR
(that's a long gap compared to 1998-1999)...

well, i haven't bought much new music this year...yet.  so i decided to
binge today... border's books & music is a bad place for me to be.  a VERY
bad place.

--> ON - SHIFTING SKIN : techno, keyboard pop.  reminds me of kevin moore/
chroma key (whom i adore so much).  in fact, i heard of ON (aka ken
andrews) after i heard that kevin moore toured with him/them in the recent
past months...  a little bit more poppy than chroma key, btw.

--> CALIFORNIA GUITAR TRIO - ROCKS THE WEST : really cool guitar
instrumental stuff.  i had heard some of their other stuff on a discipline
music group sampler that i got with a king crimson cd.  CGT has some very
nice textures.  tony levin also guests on some tracks.  i bet Chris Emery
and Rick C would dig this cd a ton...

--> PLANET X - UNIVERSE : i haven't listened to this yet.  i saw it on the
shelf, and just had to buy it, though.  it's derek sherinian
(keyboardmeister who had a 4 year stint w/ dream theater after kevin moore
left and before jordan rudess took over).  anyhow, planet x is his new
L.A.-based jazz-fusion, instrumental outfit.  i liked their first one a
lot; so i didn't really have to think too long about picking this one up...

--> BT - MOVEMENT IN STILL LIFE : techno, house, whatnot.  lately i've been
getting into the whole d.j. thing.  i don't know what's getting into me.  i
normally can't distinguish the different styles in the whole "club"
scene... this might be what people call a progressive dance cd, i don't
know.  i first heard of bt when he did a remix single with the ever-lovely
tori amos (who's better than alanis, btw, Brucie).

--> GALACTIC COWBOYS - LET IT GO : their final cd for a while.  haitus, or
something.  new musical ventures, mumbo-jumbo.  solo-albums, perhaps.
maybe getting back together later down the road.  whatever.  the 7th and
final cd by this houston rock band is a good one...

also this week...

--> DJ SPOOKY - RIDDIM WARFARE : cool d.j. cd... scratching and some cool
sound effects.  plus good rap.  it's like all of the good beastie boys
songs, but with rappers who aren't white, and don't sound like they're
white. :)

--> FATBOY SLIM - YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY, BABY : i bought it used.  other
than "praise you" (which i hate), this is a pretty cool cd.

--> BUSTA RHYMES - E.L.E. : busta is the man...

--> MOURNING WIDOWS - FURNISHED SOULS FOR RENT : serious wallet gouging
going on with this cd, just like the last mourning widows cd.  it's on the
japanese polydor label, only.  i can only get it from a japanese cd store
online.  28,000 yen or something... like $40US after it's all said and
done.  but the last one was well worth it, so i figured i'm gonna do the
same for this one.  i'll pay anything for a cd by nuno bettencourt... :)

--> CHROMA KEY - YOU GO NOW : this is gonna be my favorite cd of 2000,
hands down.  the new OtR might come in a close second (or third, depending
on my diggescence of the mourning widows cd above).  i'm hoping this pops
in my mailbox soon... kevin's 1998 cd was my fav cd of 1998.  his 1999 cd
was my fav of 1999.  i've heard 8-9 song clips of the new one.  i love it
already just based on soundclips.  chroma key is like the piano of tori,
the moodiness of pink floyd, the artsy-new wave cool-techno-saavy of peter
gabriel, the avante-garde of a david bowie meets radiohead.  chroma key is
a band that i'll never get sick of... http://www.chromakey.com/

--> BILL MALLONEE and the VIGILANTES OF LOVE - AUDIBLE SIGH (v. 3.0) : this
is the third issue of this cd... it includes a special EP entitled "Room
Despair."  that's a cool title, i must say.  nice play on words.  this'll
complete my VoL collection with room to spare... :)

--> PETER MULVEY - DEEP BLUE and RAPTURE : both scored used on an ebay
auction.  cool stuff.  i love his newest, "The Trouble w/ Poets."  these
two are really good also...

anyway, i think that'll hold me over for a few... so, what stuff has
anybody out there gotten lately?  anything good, gripping, and worthwhile?

madskills,
Dan

np: bt's newest

+- Dan Temmesfeld     Galactic Cowboys on the Web -+
   dantemm at erinet_com      http://www.dlm.net/gc/