Re: good music bad music

In a message dated 5/12/00 10:20:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
kelvinbailey at springmail_com writes:

<<
 --  I think sometimes it's not so much the things above that are critisized
 (not always, you do have a legit beef) as much as when everything is all
 wrapped up in a sweet sacharine little lie. I'm thinking of a lot of CCM as
 good example. It presents a world where "everythng is beautiful", nothing
bad
 can get in, noone dies, get's sick, divorced, abused, etc. etc. Kind of like
 television commercials--

>>> See, now you're talking about something totally different.  That's
exactly why I abhor so much of CCM - even though it helps put food on my
table.  With CCM, it's not just a matter of nice & happy versus realistic,
it's about people claiming to do something that they just aren't.  So many of
them claim to be about reaching a lost world that they know nothing about and
instead offering happy platitudes that will sell records to Christian kids
and housewives.

   Granted, but all I meant was is that , by way of illustration,the CCM
world as an isolated envirionment is a good example, an experiment in the
mass psyche  so to speak, where we can see more clearly what it is that makes
much of pop music ripe for criticism.
    Pop music is so appealing to so many because much of it, like much of
CCM, promises a world where nothing ever goes wrong.  The - to be cliche' -
rose-colored glass approach to life.
     If you look at the churches that are thriving you'll see another
comparison between  *art* music and *pop* music. The ones that promise
health, wealth, and pretty much anything our little old heart desires are
usually packed on Sunday morning whereas the older denoms that still talk of
things like sacrifice, trials and tribulations in this life and the like are
getting smaller and smaller. It's a touchy feely kinda world out there where
the hardest thing we have to deal with is ring around the collar and damn it
all I need "a new car"!

Kevin