hola

>the approach to interpretation which is centered around the >interpreters
>whims is not something i care for.

i think that's an accurate criticism when you see intelligencia opting for
art for art's sake etc.  with that simmering on the backburner, i'd still
say "be careful" with a lot of what you're saying.  i for one feel
passionately about/for/against/b/c of many things, but sometimes (_many_
times) i just want to kick myself when i see it from a different angle and
find that there is validity (or maybe the opposite) in at least some of what
i so quickly slammed (or exalted).

i think it's okay to wait things out, chew on stuff, do it in patience and
humble appreciation.  it's hard for this supposedly globally supreme culture
(only in the shadow of figures like drew and kyle, of course) to not have an
answer right this minute.  i talk about being careful b/c we don't want to
fall prey to something akin to the aforementioned whims.

>intended by the author because it fits your fancy.  granted this only
>applies with literature which was written with a specific argument >or with
>something specific in mind.

i don't know too many writers who are so rigidly defined.  i disagree with
mark's take too b/c it's the opposite extreme of what you're saying.  most
writers i know about (and the ones i know personally) don't settle for
merely their sociopolitical (yaddah yaddah yaddah) agenda or the aesthetics
and emotions.  they want it all.  dream big!

>i don't think their
>songs are a chaotic splotch of paint on a canvas going for a cool >million.

i do agree with you in the context of what i already wrote.  as "critics,"
we owe it to the creator of something to look for what they intended and owe
it to ourselves to grab hold of even the tiniest spark of what inspired
them.

>but is this the case with all songs? take 'june'.  i think june has >a very
>specific message.

i do think that is the case with all these (truly wonderful) songs.  "june"
was put out there by the same band in the same format as "latter days": a
purchasable cd.  i'm not getting pessimistic, but i think even on the rosey
side we can see linford and karin putting what they have to offer out there
and say "interact with it!  experience something."

take care-
marie