Date:   3/21/00 7:20:02 PM Central Standard Time
From:   steve at 77s dot com (Steve Johnson)
To: steve at 77s dot com (77's Announcements List)

From: Mike Roe <mike at 77s_com>
To: 77's Discussion List
Subject: what can you say....the impossible happens
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:32:36

How can I come to all of you with this?.....

Derri called me this morning and told me that something awful had
happened, and that I needed to sit down.

Our beloved brother Gene Eugene has gone to be with the Lord.

He was 39 years old.

I've been walking around in a daze all day.  I still cannot
believe it.

Terry and I talked for over an hour and cried and prayed
together, confessing our sins and our love for Gene, Derri and
each other.

I just want you to know how much we have appreciated all of your
prayers and support over the years for the Dogs.

We especially covet your prayers now for Gene's family, friends,
innumerable business associates.....and especially for the fans
that looked up to him....along with the countless bands he
recorded, produced and nurtured.

We shall all miss him very much.

My life has turned an irrevocable page today.  I will never be
the same after this.

God finally got my attention.

Life is precious and short.  If Christ is not at the center
animating all of it, I might as well be dead too.

Please pray that this very big wake-up call will inspire, rather
than crush, all of us that remain together in this veil of tears.

I love each and every one of you.  Poorly.  But perhaps I will
learn to love more and better because of this.

I sure hope so.

Your Humbled Servant and very Lost Dog today....

Mike Roe

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

this is truly a sad time - you can read below for many more details
including some more parting comments, Gene's apparent cause of
death, funeral details and where to send cards/flowers/etc.

please don't ask me for details regarding Cornerstone 2000 - it's
too soon to say what will become of the Lost Dogs and Adam Again
shows, except to say that the remaining three Dogs will definitely
be there.  we'll announce anything we find out...

please keep Mike and all of Gene's family and friends in your prayers.

steve

<http://www.77s.com/>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

_More_Information_

BEC Recordings press release and memorial guestbook:
<http://www.becrecordings.com/>

True Tunes tribute:
<http://www.truetunes.com/content/032100_wholetruthgene.asp>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

From: Keith Schneider <keith.schneider at maoregon_com>

Hi all,

Just want to give a little update on what the doc's think happened
medically.

The suspicion is that Gene passed away in his sleep. Most likely
from a brain aneurysm or a heart attack.  He spent the evening
before he passed away with some good friends.  He was found
yesterday morning in the Green room by a friend.

Gene had high blood pressure, and was plagued with a high amount
of stress for quite a while.  I suppose being one of the
Godfathers of Alternative Christian music was a fairly taxing
job...but one Gene would have never left.  Caring so much about
all the bands you produce and record is a very tiring experience.
Gene cared more than anyone can imagine.

It is the thinking of the doctors involved that Gene passed away
quietly in his sleep...I would like to think he was dreaming of
heaven and had, quite instantly, arrived in reality at the place
of his dreams.  Maybe this is a romantic thought, but Gene is a
romantic at heart.

It sure is Jesus' style to bring him home this way.

Thanks for your honesty and openness in the way you all have
expressed your love for Gene.  I have read every email on this
list, and have been moved to tears more times today than I can
remember.

Keith Schneider
"Adam Again member for a day"
keith.schneider at maoregon_com