From: Over-The-Rhine Digest <Owner-Over-The-Rhine at actwin_com>
To: Over-The-Rhine-Digest at actwin_com <Over-The-Rhine-Digest at actwin_com>
Date: Monday, February 28, 2000 7:57 PM
Subject: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #62

> [...]
>into the ocean
>let it drown
>as far as east is
>from the west
>
>- ---------------------------------
>
>Now, in terms of religious interpretaion, what about:
>
>Isaac = the Jewish patriarch whose papa almost killed him with a
>sacrificial knife, only papa's hand is turned away by an angel at the
>last moment
>
>And then, Isaac's knife becomes not the knife in Isaac's hand but the
>knife that nearly killed him (i.e., the knife in Abraham's hand).
>
>And then, the knife represents obedience to God though the act doesn't
>make any sort of human, rational sense and, more than that, the hand of
>God gathering you up at the moment of obedience, closing you into a mercy
>and assurance and confirmation of love that did not seem possible before
>the moment of obedience.
>
>And get this: Genesis 22: "(6) Abraham took the wood for the burnt
>offering and placed it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire
>and the knife.  As the two of them went up together, (7) Isaac spoke up
>and said to his father Abraham, "Father?"  "Yes, my son?"  Abraham
>replied.  "The fire and wood are here," Isaac said, "but where is the
>lamb for the burnt offering?"  (8) Abraham answered, "God himself will
>provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son."  And the two of them
>went on together."
>
>God will provide the martyr.
>
>And in that light, check this out:
>
>From Psalm 103: "(11) For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so
>great is his love for those who fear him; (12) as far as east is from
>west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."
>
>And God will provide the mercy.
>
>Has anyone posted this stuff before?
>
>Fred
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:47:22 -0600
>From: Josh Jackson <josh at pastemusic_com>
>Subject: Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #61
>
>I might have missed the original post on this, but could someone fill me in
on
>the details of this conference.  It sounds like something I might want to
try
>to get to.
>
>Much appreciated,
>Josh Jackson
>PasteMusic.com -- http://www.pastemusic.com

>afford the Calvin college faith and writing
>conference.  Not only could I see Linford, karin,
>buddy, julie, ashley and kenny (all artists I adore),
>but I could hear my hero of the moment, anne lamott,
>SPEAK.  geez.
>
>- ---------------
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:49:37 -0500
>From: "Queen, Chris" <Chris_Queen at bscc_bls.com>
>Subject: RE: moth
>
>Hi, Jeni, great thoughts on what that is fast becoming my favorite song; I
>seem to like it more and more with each listen.  I enjoyed the Annie
Dillard
>quote, too; it really led me to think about "Moth" in a way I never had
>before.  I'd like to toss my two cents into the discussion as well...
>
> > I'll admit that that "there's no saviour"
> > line was hard to
> > get past at times.  I think if you take it in
> > context though, it's
> > easier to swallow.--- Which leads to the question,
> > "What context,
> > Mark?"
>
> perhaps I am being too simple...but the context seems to be the rest
>of that line.  "there's not savior hanging on this cross."  and there's
not,
>is there?  I mean, Christians believe he rose again, right? :)
> If the cause is, as you put it "unjust, selfish, or otherwise
>needless," then Christ WOULDN'T be on the cross, right?
>
>My sentiments exactly!  That's precisely how I've interpreted that line
from
>the first time I heard the song.  The way I see it, the fact that Christ is
>no longer on the cross validates my faith.  As a Christian, it's easy to
see
>where my perspective comes from, but that interpretation just makes sense
>me.  One line I have a perspective on that I don't think anyone has
>commented on is:
> if you were to take my place tonight
> wouldn't Jesus be surprised
>My take on this line is that they are saying, in essence, "if I could, I'd
>give up my place in heaven for you."  I know that's not too deep an
>analysis, but sometimes the simplest explanation is the best.  Thanks to
all
>for stretching my mind a bit on a Monday morning.  Seems like that's
>something that doesn't happen often enough...
>
>CHRIS QUEEN
>Chris_Queen at bscc_bls.com

It is one of those songs that I have carefully spaced out listening to for
fear that it may lose some meaning and emotion through repeated playing.
Kind of like when you hear a song on the radio 100 times that you may have
liked at first, but it drives you batty now. Anyway, I guess I never quite
knew why this song had such an effect on me until I read some of your
comments about it's meaning. For me, the song is about letting go of pain,
and recognizing who you are, what you believe in, and seeing the the path of
destruction that you left behind, and/or that someone left on you. After a
long, intensely painful, and intensely wonderful relationship I had, I spent
about two years grieving over it, and abusing myself in all sorts of ways.
Then one day I let it all go. You eventually stop being addicted to your own
pain and self-pity. I think the realization that those things are for naught
explains the lin!
>e "There's no saviour hanging on this cross..". There are greater things to
carry a cross for than one's own self. I also think that the  voice in the
song, having come to these revelations, recognizes the journey they have
taken to reach their epiphany, and are fiecely proud that they have survived
the journey with their beliefs intact.
> [...]
>>
>>Hey Rick, do you still have the copy of that Enquirer interview?
>>
>     I am working on it.  It was not an interview, just a book
>critic asking two or three people what book they would want to
>bring with them into the 2000's.  I saved a section of the paper
>about the millenium change, but I am not sure if it contains the
>favorite book article.
>
>     I am also looking for a recent Linford interview where he
>mentions what he said to the newspaper and what he might have
>said differently.  I think the list had a link to the article
>with the interview.
>
>     If I find either article I will post it to the list.
>
>>It's funny, being a non-cincian, everytime someone mentions the
>>Enquirer, I think of the "National" tabloid.  heh heh.
>>
>     Being here in Cincy makes me think the same association,
>especially when they write something that I do not agree with.
>
>- --Rick C
>>-m
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:46:17 EST
>From: Ysobelle at aol_com
>Subject: Re:  Re: Moth
>
>In a message dated 2/28/00 11:01:53 AM, b_lachey at hotmail_com wrote:
>

>>Peter Mulvey kicked such arse on Saturday night, there outta be a law.
>

>Damn. And other things I won't repeat on this list.
>

>Oh, and Bruce? I love you, man. Context. It's all about context.
>- ---------------
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:09:51 -0500
>From: Dusty Volume <marquis at icx_net>
>Subject: Re: Moth
>
>> To me it's odd how some zealots get their panties all in a bunch over
>> certain lines, without reading the whole message.  I mean, you could take
>> lyric like "God is dead in the deep of the desert, where scorpions roam
and
>> life isn't pleasant" and they'd just extract "God is dead"...
>

>you calling me a zealot?? :)
>
>As far as "God is dead..." well, what is the lyric implying?  Is God
>dead to humans, is he dead to scorpions. is he dead to the whole dead
>place?  Some might say that anywhere there is life, God is there...
>
>So my question is, do scorpions rationalize and think to themselves
>"Man, it's so hot everyday, and I haven't had a decent tarantula in
>weeks.  My feet have blisters on them, and yesterday, yesterday a
>vulture almost swooped down and carried me off as a meal--Man! God is
>dead in the deep of the desert!..."
>
>- -m

>Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:20:47 -0500 (EST)
>From: Kelvin Bailey <kelvinbailey at juno_com>
>Subject: Re: Moth
>
>Where the heck did this come from?!?  I don't believe I saw any "zealots"
>getting their "panties in a bunch" in any of these posts.  Be careful, in
>making this unfounded accusation, that you don't become guilty of the same.
>
>Or did I just read your post totally wrong?

OTR