Re: moth

> Mark, I am so glad you're still around.

Hi, Jeni!! Long time since those old AIM days, eh?

I hope this fierce world is treating you well.

I think I responded to your moth post once before, but strangely enough,
I was just wishing a little while ago that I could find that post with
this A.D. quote. Interesting, aye?

I think my views have changed on Moth a coupla times since first hearing
the song.  I'll admit that that "there's no saviour" line was hard to
get past at times.  I think if you take it in context though, it's
easier to swallow.--- Which leads to the question, "What context,
Mark?"

Here's this month's take on Moth as read by YOU! (written by me)

I see the song as being a diatribe to those who martyr themselves
(either in reality, symbolically, or by *appearing* to martyr
themselves) for an unjust, selfish, or otherwise needless cause.

I think the contrast of Jesus being martyred (pure), against that of the
moth in the candle (impure) is used to differentiate between the two
cases.

I really don't have a lot of time to devote to line by line lyrics and
explications, but the one powerful line I see is this:

> maybe I should take your face tonight
	[maybe I should show you who you really are]

> let you see yourself in a different light
	[show you just how you look from an outside source]

> if you were to take my place tonight
> wouldn't jesus be surprised
	[If you respected your fellow man, instead of placing yourself above
him, wouldn't your destiny change?]

And then the lyrics show that this self righteous martyrdom is indeed
wrong with the following:

> there's no savior hanging on this cross
> it isn't suffering you fear but loss
> when there's no one else around to blame
> you're a burning moth without a flame

oooooooh, I'm  getting chills.

I'm so glad I have this list to share and dissect lyrics with.  I fear
that no one in my real world life has a grasp of the brilliance that is
Detweiler and Bergquist.

Thoughts anyone?  I'm dying to hear *your* thoughts, Jen--do tell!

-M