Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #51

>From: Gilhamilton at aol_com
>Liz queried:
><<    You ended this email with
>                         "under the mercy"
>                                  Kevin
>
>      Have you ever read the book Under the Mercy by
>  Sheldon VanAuken? A "sequel" to his book A Severe
>  Mercy.    If so, what did you think?
>                        In JesusCristo,
>                                Liz Kovarik >>
>
>I have ASM  but haven't read it yet.It is on my *to read* list.Didn't know
>about UtM. I don't remember where I picked up the phrase. Perhaps
>Schaeffer?

Hi, Kevin.

     Francis Schaeffer has been a great influence on my ideas.  It
is fun to see his name on the list.  I saw his television series
_How Should We Then Live?_ on PBS before I was fully a Christian.
I was most influenced by his saying that in the course of history
if people do not have an absolute reference point, God, then they
drift in relativism.  After a while in a world without God there
is very little reason to be nice to each other or to do a good days
work.  Many of the great scientific thinkers who broke away from
the church in past centuries became very sad.

     I do not read enough to recognize the other names that you
mentioned.  I will make a point of looking them up.

     Also, thanks for the review.  Thanks also to Oncleboo for his
review of the same concert.  It is like a postcard from an exotic
land to hear tales of heroes in faraway lands.

--Rick C