radiohead (was Re: albums of the century)

Kelvin T Bailey wrote:
>All the Radiohead mentions prompted me to dig out my little
>appreciated copy of 'OK Computer' and give it another spin.
>Result - it's still little appreciated.  Sorry, I just don't
>get it.

Yeah, a lot of people don't get it.  I didn't get it at first.

I first heard of them from Wally Farkas from the Galactic Cowboys who kept
raving to me about them when we'd talk about music, etc.  I think for about
6 months, I'd ask him what he'd been listening to lately, and it was always
"Radiohead - OK Computer."

I went into the CD store me, and listened to it.  Didn't like it.

Then I found it dirt cheap somewhere.  I bought it.  It started to grow on
me.  But you have to be into the whole timid (almost whiney),
self-conscious-seeming, brooding overtones that Thom's vocal impressions
leave on you.

Once I got _The Bends_ (the album prior to OKComp), I fell in love with the
band, and OK Computer held new meaning with me.

If you're still not into Radiohead, I just have three request:
  - listen to "Stop Whispering" from _Pablo Honey_
  - listen to "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" from _The Bends_
  - find the video for "Just" from _OK Computer_ and watch it.

Wow!  That settled them in my book as being a musical and emotional genius
band.  Plus all of the textures on OK Computer are fun... "Paranoid
Android" and "Subterranean Homesick Alien" have some fun stuff going on in
them...

my $.08 for the evening,
Dan

+- Dan Temmesfeld     Galactic Cowboys on the Web -+
   dantemm at erinet_com      http://www.dlm.net/gc/