Re: movies (no/little otr)

> Magnolia is amazing.  Don't read reviews, and don't ask questions.  Just
> go.

Ha, I have to respond to this being a film major.  I have not yet seen
magnolia as my film major free discount won't kick in until the film has
been out 10 days, but I always encourage people to read reviews, lots of
them from a lot of different people.  Find reviewers who have a point of
view like yours.  Do no, I repeat, do not become mindless zombies who
blindly stumble into Deuce Bigalow and say how fun it was.  Come you folks
are otr fans.

> Opinion: 1999 was surprisingly good for movies.

I think so too.  The year did not have many unbelievably outstanding
films, but there were a lot of very good films.

> Magnolia

Haven't seen it.

> Fight Club

<sigh>  I didn't like it, an Abercrombie man's thinking movie.

> Bringing Out the Dead

Not bad, but should have been better.

> Being John Malkovich

Very nice.

> American Beauty

One of the best films of the decade (top twenty)

> Sixth Sense

I really didn't like this film.  It was total cheese, and I had figured
out the ending in the first fifteen minutes.  I have admit though that the
first time i saw the preview, I got the jitters.

> Three Kings

Haven't seen it but have heard mixed reviews.

> The Talented Mr. Ripley

Very very very fine film.  I really didn't expect to like it, but my mom
made me go see it, and a lot of pleasure was derived from the teenie
boppers who came expecting a love triangle cute movie between jude law,
Paltrow, and Damon, but didn't expect what they got instead.  The gasps of
dispair were very fulfilling.

> Dogma

Good, but could have been better (I mean come on, a s**t demon, how much
more childish can you get?)

> Election

Haven't seen it, but I hate Reese

> Plus
>
> Tarzan was fun, wasn't it?

Nope.

> Blair Witches were fun and crazy and scary, though they got old fast.

Tragic but not horrifying.  It remeinded me more of Antigone than Psycho.

> Sleepy Hollow looked great

Woo Hoo If I could get a buck for every time a film looked great.

> Star Wars.  Ya know?  Star Wars.  It's Star Wars.

<grumble grumble>

> And I haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut,

Not worth the time, IMHO the worst Kubrick film ever.

> Bowfinger,

Surprisingly entertaining especially for a film student.

> Summer of Sam,

Not bad, but I like Clockers much more.

> Topsy Turvey,

I haven't seen it either.

> The Insider,

I'm wary.

> The Hurricane,

Got to wait for my pass to be good.

> and a bunch o' others that look good,
> too.

If you like football, go see Any Given Sunday and be sure not to sit too
close.  My mom and I had a good time at this one over the holidays.

> Plus the big screen release of _OtR's Eve, Live from Market Square Arena_
> was a long awaited pleasure.

What?  Huh?  When did i miss this?

Steve