Pistachio-crusted Beef Tenderloin with Bearnaise Demi-glace
(edit): @Vogel @Try Soon! Meat Main Dish
- PISTACHIO-CRUSTED BEEF TENDERLOIN
3 1/2 to 4 pound Beef Tenderloin
to taste Salt & Coarse Black Pepper
1 cup Unsalted Pistachios Toasted & Ground
1/4 cup Clarified Butter
- BEARNAISE DEMI-GLACE
2 1/4 teaspoon Shallots Chopped
5 ea Black Peppercorns Cracked
2 1/4 teaspoon Dried Tarragon
3 tablespoon Tarragon Vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon White Wine
1 tablespoon Water
2 ea Egg Yolks
1 cup Clarified Butter Warmed
2 1/4 teaspoon Fresh Tarragon Chopped
3/4 teaspoon Fresh Chervil Chopped
1 cup Demi-Glace Warmed In A Saucepan
PISTACHIO-CRUSTED BEEF TENDERLOIN:1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Season the tenderloin generously with salt and pepper.
3. Roll the tenderloin in the pistachios, coating it completely in nuts. Wrap it tightly in plastic and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Remove the tenderloin from the refrigerator, remove plastic wrap, and bring to room temperature (allow about 30 minutes) before roasting.
4. In a roasting pan that be used on the stove top, or in a large oven-safe skillet, heat the clarified butter and pan-sear the tenderloin, browning all sides evenly.
5. Roast the tenderloin until the meat's internal temperature is 130 degrees, about 35 minutes. While it is roasting, prepare the bearnaise demi-glace. Remove the roast from the oven, loosely tent with foil and let it rest at least 15 minutes before slicing. The temperature will rise to about 140 degrees, for rare.
6. Serve with bearnaise demi-glace.
BEARNAISE DEMI-GLACE:1. Combine the shallots, peppercorns, dried tarragon, and vinegar. Reduce until almost all liquid is gone, about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the wine and water to the reduction; strain.
3. Combine the strained reduction and the egg yolks in a stainless steel bowl. Whisk the mixture in the bowl placed over a pan of hot water until the yolks are warm. To prevent overcooking, keep the bowl from touching the hot water.
4. Drizzle the clarified butter in a thin stream into the yolk mixture, whipping constantly. Add the chopped fresh tarragon and chervil to complete the bearnaise.
5. Whisk the bearnaise into the demi-glace. Adjust the seasoning. Serve immediately.
This recipe published with BigOven, and can be imported instantly by BigOven users viewing this page. Download your free trial at www.bigoven.com.
Yields: 8 Servings
LOS ANGELES TIMES, December 17, 2003, page F7